The August Release introduces changes to our SharePoint integration. This step-by-step guide explains how existing SharePoint integration users should use the recently updated mappings. These additional mappings are optional, and your Sharepoint connector will continue to work without them as well.
Note: If it’s your first time setting up SharePoint synchronization with Showpad, please follow this guide instead.
Introducing the new options
As an admin using our SharePoint connector, you will now be able to carry over additional fields and permissions from your SharePoint site to your Showpad library. You can mark assets as downloadable for internal users, or downloadable by external users, like prospects and buyers.
To do so, configure columns in your Sharepoint document library for:
- External ID
- Download Internally
- Download Externally
These values map to Showpad and reflect in the asset detail panel within your content library in the Online Platform.
See how it’s done
- In Sharepoint, navigate to Site Contents and click the Showpad Connector.
- As an existing customer, when you open the Showpad Connector all your details will already be filled in. At the bottom of the page, click Save and grant access.
- After granting access, you will need to accept the Authorization Request. Click Accept, and then you will see the migration page. We recommend you do not add or remove assets from Showpad while the migration of content is being performed. If the migration process is successful, you will be redirected to the main page of the connector. In the case it fails, you will receive an error message.
If this occurs, refresh the page. This will restart the migration process. If the error persists, please contact our support team.
If you have multiple SharePoint Sites that sync to Showpad, we advise you to open the connector for each site, grant the OAuth2 access and perform the migration step.
- Navigate to your Sharepoint document Library.
- To use the internally and externally downloadable options, you need to create two new columns.
- Click Add Column and select Yes/No as the type.
- Name the column Externally downloadable, then click Save.
- Do the same for Internally downloadable. These must be used together, and in place of the previous singular “Can be downloaded” option.
- To use the External ID option, click Add Column and select Single line of text as the type. Name the column My Custom ID.
- Navigate to Site Contents and click the Showpad Connector.
- Within the document library, use the drop-downs to utilize your new columns.
For My Custom ID, select External ID from the drop down.
For Internally Downloadable, choose Download Internal from the drop down menu.
For Externally Downloadable, choose Download External from the drop down.
- The permission settings will be reflected in your Showpad library. Select a synced aset and in the properties detail page section you will see the download settings. In the Info tab you will see the External ID. These settings carried over from Sharepoint can not be edited within Showpad.
Note: When utilizing the External ID column, changing the ID of an asset already synced to Showpad will break the sync connection to the asset in Showpad, causing an orphaned asset. To avoid this, uncheck the sync box for the asset in Sharepoint.
If this optional mapping is not configured, the connector will continue to use the GUID of the asset in SharePoint as the default value. When an asset needs to be synced to Showpad, the connector will check if it already exists based on the External Id value. If the asset is found, the connector proceeds to sync this asset. In the case the asset doesn’t exist, a new lookup is performed, using the GUID value. If the asset is found with the GUID value, the connector proceeds to sync the asset and additionally changes the External Id value to the mapped one. If the asset can’t be found using the GUID value, the connector will create a new asset in Showpad with the External Id value, based on the column in SharePoint..
If you have more questions, you can reach out to our Support team by clicking the Help button below.