As an admin, you can easily import multiple users simultaneously by uploading a CSV file (comma-separated values) into Showpad. Most user management systems allow you to export your users as a CSV file, which can cut down on your efforts.
As an admin during the implementation stage, this feature can be handy to get volumes of users imported into Showpad. To verify the upload you initiated, as the admin who uploaded the CSV file, you will receive an email that outlines the users that were successfully imported and the ones that were not.
Note: We support CSV files in UTF-8 encoding.
- Create and manage Showpad users with a CSV file
- Export your users from another management system
- Use our templates at the bottom of this article
- It is not possible to update a user's email address via bulk upload
You need this to succeed
- Properly formatted CSV file of users to import, template provided in this article
- A CSV file with columns separated by semicolons
- Showpad admin access or promoted member with user management permissions
- The .csv file should not contain more than 1000 rows of data (users)
The quick way to awesomeness
- Properly format your user CSV file
- Navigate to the user tab
- Select Add and choose Import via CSV
Do this step by step
- Navigate to the Users tab.
- Click Add, then select Import csv file.
- If you'd like to use the Showpad template, click the link to download an example file. This will help you understand how to format your file correctly. Click Continue to go to the import screen.
Note: The header row needs to be included in the CSV, and provide all the required fields. When using commas in a field, add quotes, so it's detected as one field.
- The first column in the .csv is the action field, which determines what to do with the user row. It is automatically set to create, but it can be replaced with update or delete for each user row, depending on if you are creating, updating, or deleting a user.
- The user's first and last name fields have a maximum of 32 characters.
- Include the email address of the user.
- In the password field, if not specified, new users will receive an invitation email that prompts them to choose a password and sign in. If the Hold Invitation Emails settings is on, this field will not be saved, and an invitation will not be sent.
- External id is an external reference number you might use at your company. (e.g., dept. ID).
- Within the role field, the User and Manager roles are supported.
Admins need to be created manually. If left blank, the user will be created with a User role.
- Specify groups a user is assigned to, separated by commas. If you are using the update function to update a user, include all the existing and new groups you wish to assign them to. If you update a user and include only the additional groups you want to assign them to or leave the groups field blank, they will be removed from their existing groups.
- The activated field specifies whether the user is active. Choose 0 for non-active, 1 for active. If left blank, the user will be activated.
- Specify whether or not the user must reset their password after their first login. Choose 0 to not reset, or 1 to reset. If left blank, no password reset will be required.
- The CSV file should not contain more than 1000 rows of data (users).
- Drag and drop your adequately formatted .csv file from your desktop, or click Browse to find and upload the file.
- Click Import.
- You will be notified that the file has been queued for processing. Use the shortcut options to Upload New CSV or Go to Users Tab.
- As the admin who uploaded the CSV, you will receive an email with a user import summary, including any successful or failed imports. Follow the instructions in the email to solve any issues.
In our example, the user was not created because it would create a duplicate of the user.