Salesforce Lightning and Internet Explorer 11
Salesforce announced that support for Internet Explorer 11 to access the Lightning Experience is retiring on December 31st, 2020. They informed customers that using Internet Explorer 11 has significant performance issues in Lightning. To resolve this issue, along with avoiding potential security risks, they decided to move forward and support Microsoft Edge (Chromium) instead, along with the already supported Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers.
The impact on Showpad customers
When you, as a Showpad user, use your Salesforce Lightning account to sign in to the Windows Desktop app, we use the native, Internet Explorer 11 dialog box. As Salesforce is retiring support for this browser, we also need to change the authentication flow and support the user’s browser instead. This means that instead of showing the Internet Explorer 11 login dialog box, we will use the newer Edge (Chromium), Chrome, Firefox, or Safari browser instead.
Note: This change announced by Salesforce doesn’t impact Showpad customers who are using Salesforce Classic.
The steps to take as a Showpad customer
When using the Windows Desktop app and your Salesforce Lightning account to sign in, you need to take the following steps:
- Sign out of Showpad’s Windows Desktop app.
- Check the version of the Windows Desktop app, by clicking Configuration, App Settings, Showpad Desktop, Advanced.
- If you are not on version 1.0.18, install the latest version from the Windows Store.
- Update or install the latest browser version of Edge (Chromium), Chrome, Firefox, Safari
- The next time you sign in, you will be redirected to your default browser where you can sign in using your Salesforce Lightning account.