When your organization has a large library of assets, it can come in handy to have space for a second naming convention option. The asset's External ID is just that, a secondary naming option for content within the Showpad library. For assets that are synced using cloud storage or another content integration, the ID cannot be edited as it is used to update the asset. However, on admin uploaded or imported files, the External ID can be customized. For the purpose of updating synced content, synced assets must have a unique External ID. When editing asset IDs, it is best practice to choose a unique identifier.
- Add or edit External IDs on assets that have been uploaded or imported
- Create an alternative naming system to identify assets
- External ID on synced assets cannot be edited, as it is used to update them
You need this to succeed
- Showpad admin access
- Showpad Content Essential, Plus, or Ultimate package
- Content in your Showpad Library
Do this step by step
- Click the Library tab. Choose a division, if relevant.
- Select an asset to open the detail panel.
- Click the Info tab.
- Hover over the External ID field and click the edit icon.
- Add or edit the External ID in the text field, then click Save.
- If the External ID is not editable, it is because the asset has been synced to Showpad using the cloud storage option or another content integration. These features use the External ID to update the synced assets, therefore it can not be edited.