What's in it for you
Smart Folders are a special type of folder that you can add to your Channels to organize your content. As the name suggests Smart Folders distinguish themselves from regular folders by their ability to "scan" content for file type, properties, specific tags, and sources, and automatically pull in assets that match the set criteria. When used correctly, Smart Folders can significantly reduce the time you would otherwise spend on dropping content in the right Channels and folders.
See how it looks
- A Smart Folder only contains content
- Add assets automatically in this Smart Folder
- Reduce time by automatically adding content in a Channel
- Filtering is based on File type, Properties, Tags, or Sources
You need this to succeed
- Administrator access on Showpad's Online Platform
- A well-thought-out plan for your content structure
- Tags added to your content to easily allow Smart Folders to classify the content
The quick way to awesomeness
- Open the Channel Builder and open or create a Channel
- Create a Smart Folder
- Change the icon, add information, configure the visibility
- Define the parameters to populate content automatically
Do this step by step
Set up the base parameters
- Go to the Channel Builder and open the Channel where you want to add the Smart Folder.
- Click the appropriate folders to navigate to the location where you want to insert the Smart Folder. Open the Add drop-down menu. Click Add Smart Folder.
- Click the Upload icon button to choose a custom icon for your Smart Folder.
- Enter the Folder label.
- If required, enter a description.
- If necessary, select the following check boxes:
- Hide label in Channel: Select this check box to hide the Channel name. This is useful when you have created custom icons for your folders that already have the folder name in the icon.
- Hide folder in Kiosk Mode: Select this check box to hide the folder when a user enables Kiosk Mode.
Set up the content selection criteria
- Set the rules content must meet to be pulled into the Smart Folder. Note that you need to set at least one. You can set up different criteria to narrow down the content that is pulled in.
- File Type: Select which file types will be pulled in.
- Property: Select the properties the assets need to have.
- Tag: Select the tags the assets need to have.
- Source: Select the source assets must come from.
- Alternatively, you can use a saved filter. To do so, open the Sort files on the drop-down list and select the desired filter.
- Use the matching of tags to filter files that have ALL the selected tags. ANY (some) of the selected tags. Or NONE of the selected tags. If an asset has a tag from this field, it won't be displayed.
- Open the Sort files on the drop-down list and choose the sorting criteria. Sort your files in respectively ascending or descending order. Enter the maximum number of assets in your Smart Folder. When you’re ready, click the Save button.
- Your Smart Folder won't have a label if you enabled Hide label in Channel. Checking off Hide in kiosk mode will make the folder not visible to anyone while they are viewing that channel in kiosk mode.