When you’ve set up a Salesforce instance in Showpad, it can save you a lot of time to automatically create users and groups if they already exist in Salesforce. You can use the auto-provisioning feature to automatically create a Showpad account for users who use their Salesforce credentials when logging in to Showpad for the first time.
Keep in mind that removing a user from Salesforce will not remove the user in Showpad. Also, if you remove the user from Showpad but he or she logs in again with the Salesforce credentials, the user will be recreated in Showpad.
We need to do the following to make auto-provisioning work:
- Create a Group Assignment Field in Salesforce
- Configure auto-provisioning in Showpad
- Test the auto-provisioning
First, we need to create a Group Assignment Field to assign the auto-provisioned users to a specific user group in Showpad.
- Click Setup.
- Click Customize, Users, Fields in the left menu. This will open the User Fields page where you can add the custom field we need for auto-provisioning.
- Scroll down on this page and click the New button.
- Under Data Type select Formula and click Next.
- Enter a Field Label for the custom field and select Text as a return type. Click Next.
- Open the Select Field Type drop-down list and select $Profile.
- Open the Insert Field drop-down list and select Name. If the user group does not yet exist in Showpad, this $Profile.Name is used to create a new group in Showpad with the same name the user belongs to in Salesforce.
- You can add a Description and a Help Text for the custom field at the bottom of the page, but this is not mandatory. Click Next.
- Click the Next button and Save your new Custom Field.
- Scroll down to the User Custom Fields list and copy the API name of your custom field. This is the value you'll need later to configure the Group Assignment Field of the Salesforce instance on the Showpad Online Platform. We'll see this in the next step.
- It is important to verify the profile your users belong to in Salesforce. As mentioned before, the $Profile.Name will be used to create a group if that name doesn't exist yet in Showpad.
If still necessary, you can create new profiles via Administer, Manage Users, Profiles.
- Save the profile and select the profile for the user(s).
Configure auto-provisioning in Showpad
You can enable and set up auto-provisioning in Showpad during the process of setting up a Salesforce instance or after an instance has been created.” In this example, we will configure auto-provisioning for a Salesforce instance that has already been set up.
- Click Settings, Integrations, Salesforce.
- Click the Settings button of the instance for which you want to enable auto-provisioning.
- Click Edit Instance.
- Select Automatically provision new users.
- Fill in the following fields and click Save:
- Default Group for new users: Enter the user group newly provisioned users will be assigned to by default.
- Group Assignment Field in Salesforce: When a user is already assigned to a group in Salesforce, Showpad can auto-provision these users and add them to a specific user group in Showpad, based on the information from Salesforce. Showpad will now automatically create the user group, based on the $Profile.Name we configured in Salesforce.
- Create a new user or ask a user from the Users List in Salesforce to log in on Showpad.
- Log in on a device with the Salesforce username.
- On the Online Platform, you'll see that the user is now automatically created in Showpad, in the group we configured.