Smart Folders distinguish themselves from regular folders by their ability to “scan” content for file type, properties, specific tags and source, and automatically pull in assets that match the set criteria. It’s important to note that unlike regular folders, Smart Folders can only contain content. Also, for Smart Folders to work efficiently, it is highly recommended to tag your content in a meaningful way. Refer to the “Related Articles” section for more information on the topics mentioned in this article. To create a Smart Folder, proceed as described below.
Step 1: Set up the base parameters
- Go to the Channel Builder and display the Channel you want to add a Smart Folder to.
- Click the appropriate folders to navigate to the location you want to add the Smart Folder to.
- Open the Add drop-down menu.
- Click Add Smart Folder.
- Click the Upload icon button to choose a custom icon for your Smart Folder.
- Enter the Smart Folder.
- If required, enter a description.
- If necessary, select the following check boxes:
- Hide label in Channel: Select this check box to hide the Channel name. This is useful when you have created custom icons for your folders that already have the folder name in the icon.
- Hide folder in Kiosk Mode: Select this check box to hide the folder when a user enables Kiosk Mode. Refer to the “Related Articles” section for more information on this topic.
Step 2: Set up the content selection criteria
- Set the criteria content must meet to be pulled into the Smart Folder. Note that you need to set at least one criterion. You can set up different criteria to narrow down the content that is pulled in:
- File Type: Select which file types will be pulled in.
- Property: Select the properties the assets need to have.
- Tag: Select the tags the assets need to have.
- Source: Select the source assets must come from.
- Alternatively, you can use a saved filter as search criterion. To do so, open the “Select saved filter” drop-down list and select the desired filter.
- Open the “Sort files” on the drop-down list and choose the sorting criteria.
- Click an option to sort your files in respectively ascending or descending order.
- Enter the maximum number of assets in your Smart Folder.
- When you’re ready, click the Save button.