What's in it for you
When you add a video to your Content Library, you can use these best practices to make sure that your file uploads fine and does not take too much time to process. It is possible to use HD content and these recommendations can be used if your video file is not displayed correctly on the devices of your users.
If your users use Showpad's Web app, we will stream the video from our servers to the screen. The quality of the video depends on the internet connection speed. This ensures that viewers can also see video even when they have a less good internet connection. You can also decide to not have the file processed. In that case, the original file will be streamed in its original quality. When downloading the video, it will always be the video in the original format and quality.
- Upload video files to Showpad
- Use the following extensions:
.mov, .wmv, .mp4, .m4v, .3gp, .mpg, .mpeg, .avi, .asf, .flv
- Some video formats are platform specific. A .mov file won't play on an Android device for example
- Check the documentation of your device to see what movie files can be played
- Special codecs to compress file size, like DivX (AVI), are not supported
- Use these recommended settings when the video plays incorrectly
You need this to succeed
These minimal settings will always work when creating videos for Showpad. Larger videos than these will also work, but these are good starting points:
- mp4 Format
- 25 or 29.97 fps frame rate
- 6-8 Mbps Bit Rate
- 800 x 600 resolution
Do this step by step
- It's recommended to save your video in .mp4 format, to make sure the processing of the video goes smoothly. To convert to .mp4, you might need a tool. You can ask the original video creator to export the file with these recommended settings, or use the following free tools to convert the video file.
Handbrake (desktop tool)
Cloud Convert (web-based tool)
This tool is great for basic converting. However, the free account has its limitations with processing large, high-quality videos.
- To ensure optimal playback on Showpad, please make sure the following attributes are close to the following values:
Frame Rate: 29.97
Bit Rate: 6-8Mbps
- Make sure your resolution isn't unnecessarily high. When a video is uploaded, we will reduce it to an optimal resolution for Showpad use. Before uploading a video set the resolution to about 800x600.
- Always take into account that when you're uploading a large file, it might take a while for the file to get processed.
- When you upload a video file to Showpad, we automatically generate a thumbnail. This thumbnail is the middle frame of your video. You can select a different thumbnail by clicking on the file.
- If you're using the Showpad Web app where video content is streamed, the following formats are compatible:
|Container||Video Codecs Supported with Container|
|No Container||DV/DVCPRO, AVC (H.264), HEVC (H.265), MPEG-1, MPEG-2|
|Audio Video Interleave||Uncompressed, DivX/Xvid, DV/DVCPRO|
|Adobe® Flash®||AVC (H.264), Flash® 9 File, H.263|
|Matroska||AVC (H.264), PCM, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2, VC-1|
|IMF||JPEG 2000 (J2K)|
|MPEG Transport Streams||AVC (H.264), HEVC (H.265), MPEG-2, VC-1|
|MPEG-1 System Streams||MPEG-1, MPEG-2|
|MPEG-4||Uncompressed, AVC Intra 50/100, DivX/Xvid, H.261, H.262, H.263, AVC (H.264), HEVC (H.265), JPEG 2000, MJPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2, VC-1|
|MXF||Uncompressed, AVC Intra 50/100, DNxHD, DV/DVCPRO, DV25, DV50, DVCPro HD, AVC (H.264), JPEG 2000 (J2K), MPEG-2, Panasonic P2, SonyXDCam, SonyXDCam MPEG-4 Proxy|
|QuickTime®||Uncompressed, Apple ProRes, AVC Intra 50/100, DivX/Xvid, DV/DVCPRO, H.261, H.262, H.263, AVC (H.264), JPEG 2000 (J2K), MJPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 part 2|