MDM (Mobile Device Management) software allows companies to deploy and configure applications centrally. Showpad has made several configurations available to companies using MDM, including:
- Feature: lock a device into "Demo Mode". This can be useful for resellers and partners that want certain devices to only be used to demonstrate Showpad.
- Setting: com.showpad.demoMode - should be set to 'true' or 'false' (without quotes).
- Type: Boolean
- Feature: administrators can set the organisation name for the user so that the user doesn't have to know or enter it.
- Setting: com.showpad.organisation - should be the organisation subdomain (it would be 'acme' for a company usinghttp://acme.showpad.biz).
- Type: String
- Feature: allows the administrator to choose between "Download All" and "Download on Demand". If this is not set, the user can choose for themselves.
- Setting: com.showpad.downloadMethod - should be set to 'ondemand' (Download on Demand) or 'classic' (Download All).
- Type: String ('ondemand' or 'classic')
- Feature: allows the administrator to specify a username for a particular device so that the end user doesn't have to know or remember it.
- Setting: com.showpad.userEmail - should be set to 'firstname.lastname@example.org' or any valid Showpad username.
- Type: String. In most MDM systems this can be automatically set by entering a placeholder
- Note that this final feature will not be available when you use the SSO feature.
In your MDM platform, you can change the managed app configuration settings. Some MDMs like MobileIron require these settings to be uploaded in the form of a managed app configuration .plist file. You can find an example int he attachment (bottom of the article)
Two common MDM platforms that Showpad integrates with are MobileIron (www.mobileiron.com) and AirWatch (www.air-watch.com).
Android For Work
Some specific additional settings are possible for Android devices:
- COSU (Corporate Owned Single Use):
When a device is only meant to be used for corporate purpose. Showpad will be the only app available on the device. Even if the device is rebooted, the Showpad app will automatically re-open.
- Work profile vs private profile:
MDM will install all work related apps in the work profile of a user. These will be visible on the same screen as all other apps but will be marked with an orange briefcase. When you are in work-related context, it is possible only to pull the apps from within the work profile and hide all private apps.
- Corporate owned device:
You can set a corporate owned device so the user can only access work approved apps. The user will not be able to download apps for personal use.
For further information on Android for Work visit https://www.android.com/work/
If you are an Ultimate level admin and have a current MDM platform, please contact your customer success coach if you need additional help with the setup